Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 12 - Amber AND Recap

Bio: Amber is a spitfire / whirlwind / ball of energy / force of nature. She is like habaneros or strong garlic - she keeps things flavorful! Amber has been a friend for about five years. We both entered the Henderson 20-somethings group about the same time (along with several others, like Matt D and Paula) and have become better friends with each passing year. Amber is a runner, so when I decided I wanted to run a marathon, she was the person who volunteered to train with me and run the Chicago marathon with me. And when I say "with" me, I mean I ususally hung with her one or two miles, then said a breathless farewell as she blazed ahead of me.

Amber is incredibly loyal. She is warm-hearted, hospitable, encouraging and fun. Amber also never forgets anything you do to slight or offend her. EVER. She refuses to eat vegetables, drinks Dr. Pepper from sun-up to sun-down, and seems to constantly owe me money. She's a bit of a contradiction. She's Amber.

Challenge: I challenge you to surviving a girls night! Get ready for a make-over, pedicure, manicure, and a pretty flower in your hair. We will also watch 'The Notebook.' Be at my place at 7:00. Food will be provided!! :)

Initial Reaction: Well, Amber has been blabbing to me about this day's challenge for at least a week, so I'm not in the least surprised. She did tell me to get ready to shave my legs, which wouldn't be the first time. (Baptist Student Union, I'm looking at you!) And I've heard that a pedicure is actually something guys enjoy, but can't admit to enjoying, so we'll see how this goes.

Recap: Amber is an inveterate picture taker, so I think I will show you the progression of the evening through pictures. Despite them being incredibly degrading... However, I will note these discoveries.

1. The Notebook is actually a decent movie, largely thanks to Joan Allen totally surprising me in her character's reversal.
2. Clay mask things are hot, and this is unnatural.
3. Tweezing eyebrows is the most horrific pain imaginable. Followed closely by...
4. High heels are gawky, unwieldy, unbalanced, and bizarre. And they hurt.
5. The "pedicure" did not actually happen, to my secret disappointment. They just painted my toenails.
6. A couple of the girls really did cry at the movie, despite me being vocally ready to mock anyone who cried. You just can't stop The Notebook.
7. I sort of thought when all was done, I would look feminine. I do not think I looked feminine at all. I looked garish and bizarre. There is more to female beauty than just applying make-up.














Yes. You can see the degredation in my eyes, the shame and horror. However, the night did end on a happy note. They ran out of time to shave my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment